Opened on 24th February, 2002, the House of Terror Museum contains exhibits related to the fascist and communist regimes in 20th century Hungary and is also a memorial to the victims of these regimes, including those interrogated, tortured or killed in the building.
The house was built in 1880 and was the property of the Perlmutter family until 1936. The Hungarian ultra-right party, the Arrow Cross Party, took possession of the building in 1940. In 1944, when the Hungarian Nazis came to power, the basement was used as a prison. When occupied by the Soviets, the communist-led Political Police claimed the house in 1945, and created a prison labyrinth by joining the cellars of the block. The State Security Police possessed the building until 1956. After they moved out the house was renovated, erasing all traces of its past and became offices. In 2000, it was fully renovated and reconstructed to create the House of Terror Museum.
Tues – Fri: 10:00 – 18:00
Sat & Sunday: 10:00 – 19:30
Price: tbc Forints
Andrássy út 60
How to Get There
Metro M1 (Yellow) – Vörösmarty utca