Green Park is the smallest of London's Royal Parks, covering an area of 19 hectares (47 acres) and is mostly comprised of grassland and mature trees. Through the park is one of London's busiest, being popular with commuters, it still provides a relaxed atmosphere. Sports and other outdoor games are discouraged as the activity damages the listed landscape. On fine summer days the park is very popular for picnics.
With the exception of the Canada memorial and the small Constance Fund Fountain, there are none of the usual places of interest within the park. However, the Park's main pathway 'The Broad Walk,' which is lined by trees, leads to the parks Canada Gate entrance that opens out on to the Queen Victoria memorial in front of Buckingham palace.
Green Park was originally thought to be swampland that was used to bury lepers from St Jame's hospital. The land was enclosed by Henry VIII in the 16th century and became part of the estate of the Poulteney family. In the 17th century part of this land passed to Charles II who stocked it with deer and turned it into a Royal Park. In the 18th century the park became notorious for highway men and duels.
Thoughout the 18th and 19th century the park became popular for fire work displays - the composer George Frideric Handel wrote his famous Fireworks Music for displays in the park. Green park once contained a lodge, library, two large temples and other buildings that where erected in the 18th and 19th centuries, but by 1855 these had all been destroyed.
The park was opened to the public in 1826.
All day, all year round.
Nearest Tube Stations
Green Park & Hyde Park Corner
Official Green Park Web Site